Monday 5 September 2016

Present Perfect Simple vs Continuous





Present Perfect Simple  
Present Perfect  Continuous (Progressive)
I, you, we, they+have+past participle 
I, you, we, they+have+been+verb (ing)
He, she, it+has+past participle
He, she, it+has+been+verb (ing)
emphasises the result:
I’ve phoned all my friends and they’re coming to the party.
emphasises the action: I’ve been phoning my friends (and that’s why I haven´t done my homework)
says how much of an activity is complete:
I’ve written two essays.
Says how long the activity has been in progress:
I’ve been studying all afternoon.


Present Perfect Simple  
Present Perfect  Continuous (Progressive)
may give the idea that something is permanent (and may be accompanied by a time expression which shows this): My dad has worked in the same shop all his life. I´ve always lived here.
may give the idea that something is temporary (and may be accompanied by a time expression which shows this): I’ve been working here for the last two months. We’ve been eating dinner in the garden during the warm weather.
is used when we want to say how many times an action has been repeated: I’ve invited her two or three times, but she always says she’s busy.
when we want to emphasise the process of change over a period of time and that these changes are not finished: My teacher says my English has been improving since I started doing my homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment